Preparing a will is probably one of the most important things on the to do list but often it gets overlooked. There are many ways you can create a will; from inexpensive software packages to hiring an attorney. No matter how it is prepared, it is money well spent. There are many things to consider when creating a will. According to Caring.com, here are the key points you should consider.
1. Name a personal representative or executor.
In an individual will, your parent can name a person or institution to act as personal representative, called an executor in some states, who will be responsible for making sure that the will is carried out as written and that the property is divvied up and distributed as directed. It’s also wise to name an alternate in case the first choice is unable or unwilling to act.
2. Name beneficiaries to get specific property.
Your parent’s will can specify separate gifts of property — called specific bequests — including cash, personal property, or real estate. Likely beneficiaries for such bequests are children and other relatives, but they may also include friends, business associates, charities, or other organizations.
3. Specify alternate beneficiaries.
In fashioning their wills, most people assume that the beneficiaries they name will survive to take the property they’ve specified for them. The most thoughtful wills provide for what should happen if those beneficiaries don’t survive — either by naming a backup recipient or indicating that the person’s spouse or children should take the property instead.
4. Name someone to take all remaining property.
If your parent has opted to make specific bequests of property, a will is also the place to name people or organizations to take whatever property is left over. This property is usually called a “residuary estate.”
5. Give directions on dividing personal assests.
If your parent wants assets divided among children, charities, or other beneficiaries, the will should note precisely what property is included in that pool. It should also specify whether assets are to go directly to beneficiaries or whether they’re to be sold and the value divided among the beneficiaries, either equally or according to stated percentages.
6. Give directions for allocating business assests.
Business assets are often separate from personal assets — and most business owners have very specific ideas about what should be done with them after their deaths. If your parents don’t have a written plan covering the windup of their business, encourage them to see an experienced estate planning attorney to ensure that their wishes are clearly indicated in each of their wills.
7. Specify how debts, expenses, and taxes should be paid.
The will should spell out your parent’s wishes regarding how to settle debts and final expenses, such as funeral and probate costs, as well as any estate and inheritance taxes. Usually a specific source, such as a bank account, will be tagged to cover these costs.
8. Cancel debts others owe.
A nice added touch is that people making wills can use the documents to relieve those who owed them money from the responsibility of paying that debt — along with any interest that accumulated on it — to them or their survivors.
9. Indicate special instructions for maintaining real estate.
If your parents name someone to keep their house, they should list any specific instructions for its care and upkeep in each will.
10. Provide a caretaker for pets.
Since the law considers pets to be property, the best way for your parents to assure a good home for theirs is to leave the animal to someone named in each will who has agreed to give it a good home. Many people also leave that person an amount of money to help cover the caretaking expenses.
Somerville Listing AlertsSomerville, MA - $2,300 - Rentals - - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:131 minutes agoSomerville, MA - $729,000 - Multi-Family - Units:2 - Levels:3 - Parking Spaces:22 hours agoSomerville, MA - $429,900 - Multi-Family - Units:2 - Levels:3 - Parking Spaces:23 hours agoSomerville, MA - $4,800 - Rentals - - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:210 hours ago
Cambridge Listing AlertsCambridge, MA - $2,400 - Commercial - Year Built:1900 - Acres:01 hour agoCambridge, MA - $485,000 - Condo - Mid-Rise - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:214 hours agoCambridge, MA - $649,000 - Condo - Mid-Rise - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:216 hours agoCambridge, MA - $2,200 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:117 hours ago
Medford Listing AlertsMedford, MA - $625,000 - Multi-Family - Units:3 - Levels:3 - Parking Spaces:11 hour agoMedford, MA - $340,000 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:15 hours agoMedford, MA - $2,300 - Rentals - - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:213 hours agoMedford, MA - $1,750 - Rentals - - Rooms:6 - Beds:2 - Baths:113 hours ago
- Everett casino hurts neighborhoods, local economy May 23, 2013Just one hundred yards across the Mystic River from Somerville's burgeoning Assembly Square neighborhood lies the proposed site for a 19-story casino in Everett. […]
- Five Things: Magoun Square Unveils a Sign, Authors in Somerville May 23, 2013Now, Magoun Square has a sign, and there's a ceremonial unveiling this evening at 6 p.m. outside the CVS . […]
- NC17-Rated Body Cavity Possibly Used to Hide Drugs During Police Bust May 23, 2013Somerville police found bags of heroin and cocaine at 141 Pearl St. Friday after executing search warrants at the home, according to a Somerville police report. […]
- Somerville's Top Employer, Tax Payer, Other Financial Info Now Online May 23, 2013Somerville's largest employer: Tufts Its biggest corporate taxpayer: NSTAR Electric, Co. […]
- Everett casino hurts neighborhoods, local economy May 23, 2013
- Doomsday Postponed? May 23, 2013The 1998 QE2 asteroid has the physical mass to potentially deliver life on Earth a knockout punch, being 2.7km in length. […]
- FBI kill man linked to Boston suspects May 23, 2013Pope Francis' fascination with the devil took on remarkable new twists Tuesday, with a well-known exorcist insisting Francis helped "liberate" a Mexican man possessed by four different demons despite the Vatican's insistence that no such papal exorcism took place. […]
- Margaret Fuller May 23, 2013Sarah Margaret Fuller Ossoli , commonly known as Margaret Fuller , was an American journalist, critic, and women's rights advocate associated with the American transcendentalism movement. […]
- First Look: Menotomy Grill & Tavern May 23, 2013Here are the latest details on Menotomy Grill & Tavern , the new East Arlington restaurant slated for 25 Mass. […]
- Doomsday Postponed? May 23, 2013
- Police Take 52 into Custody During Comcast Center Opening Weekend May 23, 2013Last weekend, the Comcast Center held their first two shows of the season when country singer Brad Paisley performed on May 17 and KISS 108 held their annual KISS Concert on May 18. […]
- Police Booking Log: Man with Pistol Walks out of Davis Square Bar May 23, 2013Arrests made by the Somerville Police Department from May 13 to May 20. Please remember that the charges listed below do not indicate a conviction. […]
- Green Line Extension moves toward key milestones May 23, 2013The Green Line Extension project is edging toward two key milestones in its long term development: Selecting a contract manager and general contractor, and submitting an application for over $500 million in federal funding, officials said Wednesday. […]
- Two OUI Arrests, Car Into Guardrail Among Weekend Service Calls May 23, 2013Wakefield Police responded to these and other calls for service between Friday, May 17 and Sunday, May 17, 2013. […]
- Police Take 52 into Custody During Comcast Center Opening Weekend May 23, 2013