It seems everyone has an opinion on the best way to wash hardwood floors. Some say soap and water, others polish, or wax. It can all be very confusing.
These tips will help you have your hardwoods happily gleaming in no time.
In order to know how to clean your floors you will first need to determine the finish. In other words, you will need to know how your wood floor is sealed. It is the finish, not the wood type that determines how you clean and care for the floor.
Surface-sealed floors: If your hardwoods are newer they are most likely sealed with urethane, polyurethane or polyacrylic. These floors are the easiest to clean. All they need is a sweep, a quick mop and just like that you are done!
Penetrating-seal-treated and oil-treated floors: Another type of common hardwood floor is a penetrating seal or oil finish. These soak into the wood grain and harden. This type of floor can be difficult to maintain, these floors must be be protected with liquid or paste wax.
Lacquered, varnished, shellacked and untreated floors: Another fussy floor to deal with, these floors need to be protected with liquid or paste wax. They are not as resistant to moisture, spills and wear and tear.
If you don’t know what kind of finish you have rub your finger across the floor. If no smudge appears, the floor is surface sealed. If you do create a smudge, the floor has been treated with a penetrating seal, oil finish, shellac, varnish or lacquer, and then waxed.
This Multi-Family in Somerville, MA recently sold for $535,000.
This property features 11 total rooms, 4 bedrooms, 0.09 acres, and was sold by
The Norton Group, Inc.
Somerville Listing AlertsSomerville, MA - $3,000 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:11 hour agoSomerville, MA - $2,000 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:11 hour agoSomerville, MA - $4,200 - Rentals - - Rooms:8 - Beds:5 - Baths:22 hours agoSomerville, MA - $2,400 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:13 hours agoSomerville, MA - $3,500 - Rentals - - Rooms:7 - Beds:4 - Baths:34 hours ago
Cambridge Listing AlertsCambridge, MA - $2,475 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:22 hours agoCambridge, MA - $2,650 - Rentals - - Rooms:3 - Beds:1 - Baths:16 hours agoCambridge, MA - $2,700 - Rentals - - Rooms:7 - Beds:2 - Baths:16 hours agoCambridge, MA - $549,999 - Condo - 2/3 Family - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:37 hours agoCambridge, MA - $3,500 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:17 hours ago
Medford Listing AlertsMedford, MA - $599,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:9 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/14 hours agoMedford, MA - $1,600 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:16 hours agoMedford, MA - $1,800 - Rentals - - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:27 hours agoMedford, MA - $508,000 - Multi-Family - Units:2 - Levels:2 - Parking Spaces:68 hours agoMedford, MA - $3,200 - Rentals - - Rooms:11 - Beds:4 - Baths:1/19 hours ago
- Antioxidant Supplements Don't Fight Cancer, Research Suggests July 22, 2014In a new paper, published July 10 in the New England Journal of Medicine, researchers analyzed previous studies on antioxidants and cancer , trying to determine why taking antioxidants hasn't seemed to reduce people's cancer risk.
- Ousted Market Basket CEO: Give Workers Their Jobs Back July 22, 2014By Liz Taurasi More rallies are expected Tuesday at all Market Basket locations as employees enter a fifth day of showing their support for ousted CEO Arthur T. Demoulas.
- A supermarket saga -- bring back the good boss July 22, 2014I searched for content on the Market Basket saga now erupting here in New England on the site, and didn't find anything.
- Kriseman picks Clearwater police chief to lead St. Pete Police Department July 21, 2014St. Petersburg Mayor Rick Kriseman has named Anthony "Tony" Holloway as chief of the St. Petersburg Police Department.
- Antioxidant Supplements Don't Fight Cancer, Research Suggests July 22, 2014
- Broad Institute receives $650 million for psychiatric research July 23, 2014The Broad Institute, a collaborative biomedical research center in Cambridge, Massachusetts, has received a $650 million donation from philanthropist and businessman Ted Stanley to study the biological basis of diseases such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
- Cambridge man charged with providing gun used to kill MIT Officer Sean Collier July 22, 2014Law enforcement officials say a federal case made public today in Boston answers a mystery that's been unsolved since last year's Boston Marathon bombings -- where did the Tsarnaev brothers get the gun that prosecutors say they used to kill MIT officer? Federal prosecutors have filed charges against a Cambridge, Massachusetts man who law ... (more)
- Spencer man charged for allegedly dunking baby July 22, 2014A Spencer man is facing assault and child endangerment charges after police say he dunked his 2-month-old son in a reservoir while he and his friends laughed and cheered.
- NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory celebrates 15th anniversary July 22, 2014Fifteen years ago, NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory was launched into space aboard the Space Shuttle Columbia.
- Broad Institute receives $650 million for psychiatric research July 23, 2014
- EagleBridge Capital Arranges $6.3M Financing For Medford Condo Conversion July 22, 2014Boston-based EagleBridge Capital has arranged $6.3 million in acquisition and construction financing for the Residences at St. Francis Condominiums currently under construction in Medford.
- Local Kids Participate in Public Safety Academy With Sheriff Koutoujian July 21, 2014Middlesex Sheriff Peter J. Koutoujian recognized 155 cadets from Arlington, Belmont, Burlington and Medford during a graduation ceremony Friday, July 18, for the Middlesex Sheriff's Office Youth Public Safety Academy .
- City Seeking Participants for Medford Community Day July 20, 2014The event, in honor of Ben Averbook and Wally Kountze, is taking place on Sunday, September 21 from 1-4PM at Mystic Riverbend Park.
- Partners HealthCare Deal Could Become Campaign Issue In Mass. Governor's Race July 19, 2014Attorney General Martha Coakley is coming under increasing fire from her Democratic and Republican rivals in the governor's race over an agreement her office hammered out with Partners HealthCare, Massachusetts' largest hospital and physicians' network.
- EagleBridge Capital Arranges $6.3M Financing For Medford Condo Conversion July 22, 2014