Thinking about changing the color of your living room? How about a color makeover for the bedroom? No matter what room of the house you are thinking about, the choice of color is important. That calming bedroom you always imagined could turn into a nightmare that won’t end. Of the stunning entry way could be the eye sore of the neighborhood. Knowing a little bit about colors can help you choose the one just right for the look you are trying to achieve.
The Color Wheel
This is the most fundamental thing you need to know about colors. There are 2 basic groups of colors: warm and cool. Warm colors are red, yellow and orange. They are exciting colors, full of life and energy; think about fire with its glowing flames. Cool colors are more mellow, blues, greens and purples. Think of an outdoor scene, with green meadows and blue skies. The feel that you are looking for should lead you to one group of colors or the other.
Putting just any old colors together can really be unpleasant to the eye. Color harmony is all about colors that go well together. The simplest way to think about this is when looking at a color wheel, colors that are adjacent to one another or directly across from one another compliment each other. Monochromatic color schemes work well too – where you have varying intensities of the same color.
Where to start
So now that you have the basics, think about the room you want to change. Would it be a place fo relaxation? Or a place for entertaining? You might think about shades of blue and green for a bedroom you can really relax in. Or shades of orange for the kitchen and dining room you love to entertain your guests in. And remember, when working with more vibrant colors, a little goes a long way. If you love the ides of red in your living room, stay away from painting the walls AND having your drapes and upholstery in shades of red. Pick one peice that will take on the spotlight, and accent that with other hues, tones, colors, etc.
And now you can get small paint samples for cheap to bring home and try out. Feel free to experiment with how the colors you are thinking of would look together. What are you waiting for? Get colorful!
Beautiful Queen Anne, 14- large Rooms, 9-bedrooms, 5.5 baths, on about half acre of land, many updates including newer windows, electrical and brand newer gas heating unit,lots of original detail including inlaid floors, molding much more,laid designed wood, ideal for home office for lawyers, doctors etc. great visible location lots of parking plus circular driveway, manicured lawn. House has a lot to offer including a country setting in the city, truly a must see home,
Somerville Listing Alerts
Cambridge Listing AlertsCambridge, MA - $1,200 - Rentals - - Rooms:9 - Beds:3 - Baths:21 hour agoCambridge, MA - $5,000,000 - Commercial - Year Built:1890 - Acres:0.131 hour agoCambridge, MA - $5,000,000 - Multi-Family - Units:12 - Levels:3 - Parking Spaces:01 hour agoCambridge, MA - $724,900 - Condo - Hi-Rise - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:25 hours ago
Medford Listing AlertsMedford, MA - $179,900 - Condo - Garden - Rooms:3 - Beds:1 - Baths:11 hour agoMedford, MA - $393,000 - Single-Family - Contemporary, Raised Ranch - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:26 hours agoMedford, MA - $599,000 - Single-Family - Colonial, Garrison - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/17 hours agoMedford, MA - $2,500 - Rentals - - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:2
- Walkable Somerville May 24, 2013Making Somerville "walkable" isn't just about making neighborhoods pleasant places to walk. […]
- This Weekend in Somerville: Memorial Day Parade, Chainsaw Maidens from Hell, and Boston's Calling May 24, 2013Boston Calling Okay, it's not in Somerville, but it's cool. This two-day festival will feature 18 bands, including Fun, The National, Of Monsters of Men and The Shins. […]
- WWII-Era Vets to Lead Somerville's Memorial Day Parade May 24, 2013Somerville's Memorial Day Parade will be led by two veterans this year. James F. Legee, Jr. […]
- Mount Washington museum to get major overhaul May 24, 2013The 40-year-old museum run by the Mount Washington Observatory is planning a major overhaul designed to give summer visitors a feel for the mountaintop's extreme winter weather. […]
- Walkable Somerville May 24, 2013
- Where to have your graduation dinner May 24, 2013Egg in a jar: potato puree, hen-of-the-woods mushrooms, duck eggs, and crisp duck skin at West Bridge in Cambridge. […]
- Book review: 'Tiger Writing: Art, Culture, and the Interdependent Self' by Gish Jen May 24, 2013"Tiger Writing" by Cambridge writer Gish Jen is a fascinating book; part autobiography, part Asian American love letter and wholly about culture's impact on identity. […]
- Mass. bill would honor dream of slain MIT officer May 24, 2013A bill that would posthumously honor the dream of slain MIT officer Sean Collier to be appointed to the Somerville Police Department is moving quickly through the legislature. […]
- Helen Brooke Taussig May 24, 2013Helen Brooke Taussig was an American cardiologist, working in Baltimore and Boston, who founded the field of pediatric cardiology. […]
- Where to have your graduation dinner May 24, 2013
- Green Line Extension Is a Priority, Indicates MassDOT Head May 24, 2013If the Green Line Extension doesn't receive federal funding, other transportation projects in the state might take "a back seat" in order to fund the light rail project to Medford, according to Boston.com. The news website said Richard Davey, the Massachusetts secretary of transportation, is committed to funding the entire Green Line Extension […]
- Medford's Memorial Day Ceremony May 24, 2013Today is Friday, May 24. Here are five things you need to know. 1.) Mayor Michael J. McGlynn, members of city government and the Office of Veteran's Services have invited the public to attend the city's annual Memorial Day Veterans Ceremony . […]
- Somerville's Curtatone begins his reelection campaign May 23, 2013Curtatone, who has been mayor since 2003, held a campaign kickoff party at the Armory. […]
- Police Take 52 into Custody During Comcast Center Opening Weekend May 23, 2013Last weekend, the Comcast Center held their first two shows of the season when country singer Brad Paisley performed on May 17 and KISS 108 held their annual KISS Concert on May 18. […]
- Green Line Extension Is a Priority, Indicates MassDOT Head May 24, 2013